Last week Kip scored us a family gym membership by becoming the racquetball instructor. I'm pretty excited. It's been 2 years since I've been in a gym. I went again today. The gym was nice. The children's area was amazing and the ladies seemed super sweet. Savannah threw a fit when we left.
Nevertheless I noticed, as I always do in gyms, some weird inconguities--like the snack bar packed with potato chips. Front and center and lots to choose from. Sure some were of the low-fat variety, but basically they were just bags and bags of potato chips. And cookies. And candy. And a few really overpriced sandwiches. And one icky sounding PB smoothie for $5. It was weird. Along this line of inconguity there were the treadmills and stationary bikes (even the term 'stationary bike' is a bit of a contradiction, don't you think) are the lines of TV's. I get the TV's. I get bored on a treadmill like everybody else. But on those TV's were tons and tons of advertisements for food--fattening, processed, salty foods. And then in the hallway were the brochures--one entitled, "The Rising Generation" with tips for keeping today's youth fit and healthy. And then when I went into the childcare area there sat one of today's very youth--maybe 18 months old chomping away on some cheese puffs her mom and pop had packed for lunch. (Judgment, how I know you will come back to pinch me in the behind.)
Additionally there were the personal trainers. On a limited basis, I get personal trainers. I mean if you've never been in a gym before, you might need someone to show you the ropes and maybe even hook you up with a couple of potential work-outs. But after the first few sessions the idea of paying for an exercise babysitter--someone to make sure you come in and work out and do plenty of reps--it seems like some weird American disease. "I have to work out, but I just hate it so much. Maybe if I hire a personal trainer for $30/hour and get a package of Double Stuff Oreos and a supersized coffee on my way out, it'll be okay." I mean, just go for a walk. At that expense, you could even get your exercise shopping. Not on Fifth Avenue or anything, but still.
Ah now, I'm already starting to feel sore. It must be the bad karma for the dissing on the gym bunnies.
.?
ReplyDelete-technology is my weakness
ReplyDelete-inciteful &funny comment lost with 1st attempt so 2nd attempt above
-no time to retype it....enjoyed your blog
Jealous! i think now my husband needs to take your husband's class. In the name of good health, of course.
ReplyDeleteDad--I thought you'd like that post.
ReplyDeleteVanessa--Oh, it'd be so fun if Michael could take Kip's class. Maybe we can get some kind of free pass for a day or something.
hmmmm, so I take it you would laugh at me watching "the food network" the whole time I run and troy watching "Man vs. food." don't worry, i forgive you ahead of time for not even having any idea what that show is. but you get the gist :)
ReplyDeleteDon't you remember when "Man vs. Food" came on at Mom's condo and I was so intrigued (granted that was my first exposure to it and you had to explain how it worked)? Who needs to go to your brother's wedding anyway; me and Emma couldn't take our eyes off the tube.
ReplyDeleteWhen do u blog?
ReplyDeleteHow often do I check on here?
Do I get notices in email like Facebook?
Dad--I blog every few days. Bec's blogs come to me in my email. I'll have to ask her how she does it, and I can send them to you.
ReplyDeleteEvery few days?
ReplyDeleteOnly one I see is from 9/14
Others?
I should Bec's out