The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Why I Love Zumba

My first experience with Zumba wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. It was 7 or so shy-ish seeming women at a class in a gym. It was fun. And I took a class here and there. But it wasn't until I went to one at the YMCA that I really realized what the craze was all about. The class was packed with all different sorts of women. Some of them were pretty brave--to the tune of wearing these--I don't even know what to call them--sashes around their wastes that had coin-like things and other baubles that clinked and jingled. Oh boy. I guess that would have sent a few people running for the door. But for me the door opened wide open. All the sudden it didn't matter how I danced or looked or anything. Nobody was paying any attention to me. They were all watching/listening to the jingly-hipped ladies. Those women did me a huge favor--they let me get into the movements and the dancing without worrying that I looked like an idiot. Which I really didn't.

From there it was easy to love Zumba. Women have been dancing together for millennia. In that way, Zumba met a sort of need I didn't really realize I had in my stay-at-home life. Apparently, I longed to get out on a floor and dance. The guise of it being for exercise sake seems to have given more than a few women the excuse to connect with that thing inside of us that want to move to a beat, to get our blood flowing to music's pulse, to move and shake even if we don't have a drop of Latin in our blood. Move over Swedish/Irish/English ancestry. I've got a class to go to.

P.S. Does anyone else hate the stupid new blogger. I don't know why they have to change these things. I hate change. And it never really improves anything, does it? I see no improvements--only an unfamiliar page. And I do hate an unfamiliar page.

2 comments:

  1. So fun! I've always wanted to go. Maybe someday I can come jiggle with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guy's preschool offers a Zumba class once a week and it is so much fun. I wish they offered it more often. How often do you get to do it?

    ReplyDelete