The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween 2012

So I'm planning to post some Halloween pictures, but before I do, I have to say that the reason I have time at all right now at 9:37 am is that my girls are playing in the basement. Savannah is being the baby and Emma is being the Mommy.

Emma's mothering techniques are interesting. The baby will start to cry and Emma, in a high shrill German school mistress-esque way (not that I've ever met one, so I'm stereotyping here), will shout at her, "You want toy." Baby will continue to cry. "You want 'nother toy." It's a tone of command with maybe the teensiest hint of desperation. It makes me wonder if that's how I sound--"You want toy. You want cookie. Take something and give Mommy five bloomin' minutes to go potty." You know, that sort of tone. Only with Emma it's firmer.

The other highlight was when Savannah referred to Emma as the Mother. "No, I not mother. I Mommy."

Anyway, on to Halloween.


Darth (in case you have missed the last 3 decades of your life and couldn't tell), an old fashioned girl (got the costume a day before for $2 at a yard sale), cat, and fairy)

I'm a monarch butterfly in case you can't tell. Do you know what I love about Halloween? It's the best excuse since the '80s to glitter everything up and match your eye shadow to your outfit. (Not that you can tell here.)

We actually got these pic's before a Halloween party. That was kind of fun because I got to dress up too (I do not dress up for trick-or-treat). It was also nice because I always find pre-trick-or-treat pictures stressful. The kids are too excited and everyone is acting out and it's just always a little painful. Here the kids were being silly, but not acting out in an awful way where they're pouting or refusing to look at the camera while we threatened to eat all their candy or ban Halloween forever if they didn't sit still and smile, darn it.  

And here are the pumpkins. We did them the night before Halloween. 





This year I really enjoyed Halloween. Our ward did a fall party instead of a Halloween party so there wasn't the ton of candy, cupcake, etc. that we usually get before trick-or-treat. My friend's Halloween party was also a chili cook-off, so not a desserts only affair. And Kip had to work this year, so we had 1 hour only to trick-or-treat. It was perfect--enough time to get plenty of candy, without getting way too much or getting to super meltdown mode. 

Also, the kids were a little under the weather--Mark and Elizabeth had colds and Emma had thrown up the night before. You wouldn't think this would be an advantage, but because of this they've been fairly moderate with their candy and they didn't whine about only trick-or-treating for an hour. 

Emma (despite puking the night before) ran from house to house. For an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment