Speaking of driving. The drive was six hours. I was dreading it, but it actually went well. Both ways.
The first night we were there, we checked in and went and got some dinner. This vacation had ended up costing us more than I'd anticipated (thanks fees and taxes; we love you; and that's what happens when you don't spend enough time reading fine print). So I had totally planned to make a bunch of cheap meals and just enjoy the cabin. But once there, I found that I wanted to try some of the local(ish) fare. The first night we went to a BBQ spot that was actually really delicious. The meat was awesome (and very plentiful) and we all just had a really good time. That night the kids played in the hot tub and then went to bed.
And then they whined and got out of bed. And complained about everything. Mark came down saying that he could hear people breathing. Yeah, well, that happens. And Kip and I were in a bedroom below and could hear every little creak and murmur. Emma kept talking/fussing in her sleep, which woke us and others up. At one point in the middle of the night, I went upstairs to see Savannah whack her in the face and tell her to be quiet. It wasn't my best moment of the trip.
Kip and I slept very little. The next morning, I was soooo exhausted and Kip was beyond that since he'd just come off his shift and only gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep the night before (we always expect to be able to sleep in the car, but that never happens--Note to selves: Always take the night off before a trip even if it seems you'll get plenty of rest.) So Kip slept in and I slumped around the house feeling very very grumpy and the kids argued and got in the hot tub. This was the worst part of the trip for me. The kids were watching stupid TV, Kip was sleeping, and I was exhausted and bored in the middle of this beautiful area of the country. I was afraid to take the kids anywhere because I had no idea where our cabin was or how to get back to it. Plus I didn't really want to go anywhere with all four kids in a weird place by myself when I was already in a bad mood. That whole morning, I kept thinking, "Why are we here? We can do better than this at home and it wouldn't cost $400." Then I started thinking about all the fun day trip things we could have done for $400 and that made me really really mad/upset. So, yes, it was good when Kip woke up and we actually left the premises.
We drove around looking for this hiking spot up to a waterfall and we couldn't find it and had the WORST MAP EVER. It was a "hiking map" but didn't show any of the roads that went to any of the trails, so you had really no idea how to get to anything at all. Finally we found the road and the path. And let me say--it was totally worth it. The hike was a challenge for the kids, but the right amount of challenge and they did just fine. And they had so much fun at the waterfall. We got in the water and just had a great time. For most of them, this was the highlight of the trip.
There were a bunch of people around and a ton of them would just offer to take our picture. It was really nice. We got several family pic's on this hike.
There were warnings not to litter all over the place with the threat of bears (very effective btw; I saw almost no litter). The kids really wanted to see a bear, but this was the closest we got. We're guessing a bear scratched this tree. What do you think?
Also, the weather was very good. It was humid, but mild. We were never dying of heat or anything. It was great for hiking.
After hiking, we were starving and decided to eat out once again. We went to this pizza place and when I saw the prices (which weren't crazy, but weren't the spaghetti dinner I had back at the cabin either). But then the pizzas were actually completely delicious and I didn't regret going there at all.
That night there was more play in the hot tub and then a wonderful downpour. The kids watched a show on TV and Kip played his guitar on the porch and it was a really nice time.
This time when we put the kids to bed, we gave them a bribe and a threat: candy the next day if they didn't wake us except in emergency. And if they did wake us without an emergent reason, we said we would never ever take them on a just-for-fun trip again--that Mommy and Daddy would go alone and get a babysitter for them. And, boy, I meant it too. They slept much better that night.
The next morning, we needed to sign out and then hiked up to an old farmstead that supposedly had a little spring by it. This was a much easier hike and a much less peopled one (there were tons of people at the waterfall hike). It was beautiful and the old farmstead was completely awesome. There was this old family cemetery and an old barn and an old house and a spring (which was tiny and disappointing for Mark, but had salamanders in it, so Kip was really excited). We saw salamanders, a toad, a snake, a dead snake, and maybe some other stuff too that I can't remember.
Anyway, the drive home was good. And it was a pretty good trip overall, though Kip and I are still looking for a night away sometime because you just can't have a romantic vacation with your four kids even after they go to bed. Doesn't work. But I'm glad we went and I'm even glad we brought our kids (though I would have done the vacation a little differently if I'd originally planned it with them in mind).
When we got home our refrigerator was warm. It was, btw, a year and a month old. Yup. I still need to write a nasty review for Maytag. The freezer was still frozen though and the fridge was pretty bare because we'd just left for a trip, so all things considered, our losses were small. And a repairman came the next day and replaced the freezer fan and now all is good. (But Maytag should be seriously seriously ashamed of themselves.)
I usually hate reading people's vacation posts but I loved this one! You are so real in your writing. I love it.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about the Gaitlinburg-touristy-type towns. You think they are going to be really fun and unique and they end up being all the same! I can't stand it!