We went to a place called Spring Mill Creek (where Kip and I visited during our own little getaway). And we had a great time. We managed to arrive before dusk this time and got our tent set up in the actual daylight. We were also generally more prepared (except for Mark's mysterious missing sleeping bag; if anyone has it at your house, let me know and save my sanity in wondering what the heck we did with it). I had food premade and ready to go on the fire. We had actual utensils to use over the fire (which we managed to forget last time). So we set up camp and ate and had fun. The kids were super looking forward to some flashlight hide-and-seek. And then we put them to bed.
And then we talked, except that Emma's sweet little peeping voice kept coming through the tent, "Mommy....Daddy... when are you coming in?" Until at 10:30 we finally did go in and she fell asleep. Everyone slept pretty well except me. Usually tent sleeping is no problem for me, but that night I just lay awake and then our tent neighbor was out talking until, like 3:00 in the morning and I was like, "Who stays up that late when they're camping?The sun's going to come up at 5:30."
In the morning, Kip and I were both a little grumpy and snippy and testy. And then Emma said her tummy hurt. She had runny poop and was pale and, sure enough, she puked. We thought, "Okay, well, she didn't get enough sleep and she ate too much sugar. No big deal. She's probably fine." And then she puked again.
The interesting thing is that it did something good to our morning/day. Instead of being grumpy with the kids and each other, we had a higher cause now and we cuddled and took care of Emma. It just sort of re-set our attitudes and our day. I was like, "You go take the other kids to Pioneer Village and I'll just stay with her and then we'll go home." (Which was a small sacrifice for me because I wanted to go to Pioneer Village.) And then something even more interesting happened. She was fine. Not like, okay-we-can-drag-through-the-rest-of-this-trip, but walked-hiked-ate-played fine. It was weird. Personally, I consider it a little miracle--a little gift from God to help us remember the important things and to make little sacrifices and have fun. And then He allowed us to do just that.
We went to these caves, which we thought would be closed because there had been some bat disease (not dangerous to humans, but they'd been worried about outdoorsy humans transporting it to other bats in other places). But the tours were open and cheap and not too long. So we went and it was cool. Then we ate lunch and hiked a small hike. And went to Pioneer Village, which has all these log cabins and people dressed up and working in them. It was cool and the kids appreciated it and had fun. Until we went to the gift shop and they lost it in their insatiable desire for endless candy. And then we went home.
Emma slept the whole way and never seemed sick again. It was a little tender mercy and a fun trip.









No comments:
Post a Comment