As anyone who knows me knows, I love my birthday. Now that I'm a Mom, it and Mother's Day always fall a weekish apart from each other. Normally I don't like such proximity with my holidays, but it does tend to make that week feel like a great big celebration of me. Which I don't complain about.
I had a lovely birthday. I made my cake the day before. Then that morning, I got myself a Groupon pedicure that I'd bought. It was supposed to be a mani-pedi, but due to the fact that Google likes to create places that aren't the right place and send me to them, I wound up at the totally wrong place and then had to get the address and take myself to the correct place, which was on the completely other side of town. I was so so mad--at myself for not plugging in the address into my GPS and at Google for being psycho. Fortunately, it was my only instance of discontent on my birthday. After my beautiful pedicure, I took myself to places where I could get free stuff. If there's one thing I love more than my birthday, it's getting free stuff on my birthday. Yup. So I got a lipliner from Sephora and used my $10 at Victoria's Secret, stopped at Panera to get my free pastry for lunch, and then went to Kohl's to use my $10 birthday gift card to buy myself a birthday outfit. I was there forever. I am not, if you know me, a very fast shopper. I'm super cheap and particular about stuff and perhaps a tiny bit vain. Bad shopping combination. I was starting to worry about me taking forever and called Kip and he was like, "Just have fun; I've got it covered here." So I did. I found myself a pair of skinny jeans (which is not usually my thing, but these were long and kind of fun) and a peasant blouse (which is totally my thing). They cost me less than $10. You know that makes me happy, right.
Birthday outfit (so I'm kind of the worst selfie picture taker ever; sorry)
I went home and prepared for my party and then Kip and I went out to dinner with another couple. We followed Google once again and were once again taken to the completely wrong place on the completely wrong side of town. Super weird and super annoying. So it was good we got an early start. We finally plugged in the address (as we should have done in the first place) and got to the right place. It was a little Italian restaurant that was independently owned and quaint and tasty and cool without a TV in sight--basically everything that almost every restaurant in Evansville is not. So that was fun.
Then we went home to get ready to greet the party-comers. My kids gave me their sweet gifts--a coupon from Savannah to go to a movie with her (that she would pay for), money from Mark to buy a candle for myself, chocolate from Emma and a pizza cutter from Elizabeth. It was fun. Kip gave me pictures of the years since we've lived in our house--mostly nature-y things, which were really beautiful and took a lot of effort, which was really touching to me.
Then my friends came and there were tons of folks and it made me feel very loved. Thank you friends. I had a really great time (and hope everyone else did too). We ate cake and talked and Kip showed off our ducks (because we're weirdos).
It was a great day.
That led to a great Mother's Day, which I will also post about here since I am behind in my posting. The kids all got me adorable sweet gifts. And Kip got me a cool hemp-ish bracelet with rough cut opals and moonstones tied into it. For primary the Young Women took over and I got to go to RS for the first time in a long time. Which was also really pleasant. Then we had a low key dinner and just relaxed for the rest of the day. It was kind of a chill day in many respects, and I decided that that was the best way ever to spend a Mother's Day and I hope to do it again next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment