The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Friday, January 3, 2020

Merry Christmas 2019


2019: In Which I Develop a Neck Wrinkle and Other Adventures in Aging

            Once upon a time my kids were small and cute. They’re still pretty cute in a slightly hairier, ganglier way, but no longer particularly small.
            Mark is a junior this year. We tried a less traditional method of school where Mark “homeschools” (though it’s an online program with the school) and then takes choir and Japanese in the afternoon at the high school. His verdict is a solid meh. He’s had some freedom to do things he loves like taking an afternoon nap, but he’s had no solid breaks (they don’t get snow days or holidays unless they get ahead of schedule, which he’s struggled to do on account of the naps and a fairly challenging course load). Next year he’s planning to try some engineering classes in addition to his regular school classes.
            It’s been an academically challenging year for him and a stressful one for me as his mother. I’ve been face-slapped with the reality that this is the beginning of the end; and that soon I will need to have a young human ready to launch into the world. He’s getting there. He has excellent grades, two part-time jobs, a spot on the competitive climbing league, and great hair. He even takes showers without me reminding him. So—basically—we’ve won at life. Maybe one day he’ll even accept the reality of daily shaving (necessary at this point, but not as reliable as those showers) and non-daily hoodie wearing.
            Elizabeth is a freshman and also very busy. She also climbs and works an afternoon a week at the climbing gym. She sings in choir and honors choir and plays the flute in band. She’s both artistically and mechanically inclined. She also succeeds at regular showering. (I’m still waiting for my Mom of the Year award). She likes reading and geeky stuff, and is concerned and motivated towards her own self improvement. She steals my shoes and sometimes my clothes, even though I’m pretty sure she was just a baby last year.
            Savannah is in sixth grade and enjoying school more than she has in many years, which is a relief. She plays the oboe in band and sings beautifully. She just fell in love with reading this summer and now reads for such long stretches that I have taken to worrying about her newly sedentary lifestyle (instead of worrying about her lack of interest in reading like I did before). Her showering skills could be categorized as solidly mediocre.
            Emma is my only child who still feels like a child. She dances around the house, sings, has a million friends, strikes up conversations with store clerks, librarians and other adults with ease, loves school, loves life. She does not shower most nights, preferring baths during which I read to her. And, yes, she does need reminders, although even that is starting to change.
            Kip showers all on his own (Good job!) He’s still a paramedic and feeling a bit burned out. His latest hobby/side hustle is to form rough opals into beautiful stones, which he sometimes sells on their own and sometimes creates into jewelry. If you need more opals in your life (you do), you can find him on Etsy under OpalsandThingsStore. Also on Instagram (Opals and Things). He’s got a bunch of beautiful, under-priced-cause-he’s-new-at-this pieces.
            I also bathe without reminder (usually). I am still writing and have begun freelance editing as well, which I really enjoy. This year I released my friend’s memoir, which I helped her write. It’s called Four Seconds and is the story of her years of drug use and recovery. It’s a beautiful story and a passion project that is really doing well for itself. We also took Grey Stone and Grey Lore back from our publisher and released a beautiful new edition of them. I’ve also been doing freelance editing and tutoring with VIPKID in order to make actual money, instead of just hoping to make money (which is my current business plan for writing).
            I’ve also, as stated in the title of this masterwork of a Christmas letter, developed a solid neck wrinkle as well as several stomach, uh, floppy bits, and other generalized old lady qualities. Soon I’ll be tottering about telling young strangers how to live their lives and basically grumpily solving all the problems in the world. You’re welcome.

Merry Christmas, dear friends.

“And let the peace of God rule in your hearts…” Colossians 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment