The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Haircuts

It's been a big week in hair for us. I trimmed up Kip, then buzzed off Mark, who's hair was quickly reaching Wolverine level (doesn't take him too long). Here's a pic Mark took of himeself. (It's much better than the picture I took of myself, which fortunately for the world, has been deleted.)

Then today I went to get mine done. I've been toying with the idea for a while and though I'd planned to wait till after winter to really shorten it, it was starting to look nappy pretty much most of the time. I went in to a girl who was referred to me by this random person with a beautiful haircut at a birthday party. And she was great. (Her name is Kara with Salotto in Evansville if anyone's interested--the cut cost me $20 and she styled it too, though I'm not sure if that was part of the cost or just to show my obviously hair-impaired self the easiest way to fix it). Anyway, I went planning to ask her what she'd do if I let her do any old thing and I figured if I didn't like her suggestion I'd just ask for some long layers. But I did like her suggestion and she seemed to know what she was doing. She was going to take 6-7 inches off so I told her to take 8 so I could donate it. Here's the finished product taken at night in the bad lighting of our house. I like it (too bad it didn't magically make my wrinkles go away, eh?).



 And then Elizabeth paid me the highest compliment of all (imitation if anyone's not following me here) and asked that I cut her hair. Here's a pic of the finished product. I'm definitely not as adept as Kara, but I think she looks adorable anyway. She actually wanted it even shorter--like above her chin, but I wasn't sure if she knew what she was asking and would really like it, and I wasn't sure that I could pull it off--my haircutting skills being limited to the grab and hack method that works best for below the chin styles. As it was we probably cut off a good five inches of her hair. Wow. Kip was at racquetball while all this was going down. He was actually a wee bit sad when he got home about Elizabeth's new haircut, but he said that it's her hair and that her personality is just coming through.

Savannah wanted to join the fray and get hers cut short too, but I didn't have the heart (and let's face it, people, she sure didn't have the attention span) so I took a bit off the ends and she was happy with that.

So there you have it--the new Pace family. Whew.

[Cute bonus feature: Tonight when Kip was at racquetball and I was feeding Emma in her room to put her to bed, I saw all the lights go off in the house and then heard the kids coming down the hall (with a flashlight) saying trick-or-treat. Hee hee. Later we had scriptures and stories by flashlight with a darkened house,and I noticed that they were much calmer and cuddlier--they stuck right by me instead of getting up and wandering/running about as they sometimes do because they didn't want to venture into the darkness--so if you're looking for a bit of cute, cuddly, calmness (and seriously, how could you not be), try reading in a dark house by flashlight.]

No comments:

Post a Comment