The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shopping Kind of Spree

I haven't bought new earrings since high school.


Fortunately, I've been gifted enough pairs to avoid the embarrassment of wearing '90s earrings in all the years since then (well, mostly anyway).

And then today I went into Kohl's to use my $10 gift card in order to buy Savannah a birthday present. It was after my church meeting and I was alone.

The cheapskate in me was conscious long enough to get me into the clearance racks. And then--it must be assumed--she passed out from over-stimulation, leaving me vulnerable to a surprising alter ego who suddenly surfaced. "Pretty," said this alter ego. "Fashionable."

"Like you know," said the cheapskate side of me, raising her foggy head, "You should come back with Kip before Christmas and show him a few things that you like."

"Shut your trap," said my alter ego, kicking my cheapskate self in the knees, "Or I'll head over to the full-priced racks. I mean, look, these are 60% off."

"They are nice," said my cheapskate, "But but...Christmas is only 4 months away and..."

"Look free samples," said my alter ego, pointing out the window and then hastily rushing to the cash register.

And so I came home with a present for Savannah, a few miscellaneous Christmas items for the girls, and two shirts and 2 pairs of earrings for me.

And not to brag or anything, but sometimes it kind of pays to let your alter ego have a day in the sun. Because it turns out that during certain unannounced (to my knowledge anyway) promotions, Kohl's gives out 10 extra Kohl's bucks when you spend more then $50.

5 comments:

  1. Confession: I got $20 in Kohl's cash yesterday by shopping online. Let's go spend it like it's 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh goody. How did you get $20?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always spend more money at Kohls than I should! But I do love the Kohls cash. And they do announce it ahead of time if you're on their mailing list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... I spent $100. :) But I needed sneakers (on sale) and bras (also on sale) and got some clearance jammies for Truman, and now this weekend I get to go with my Kohl's cash and get one of my kids some new shoes. Kohl's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, so they give it for every $50, not just the first $50. And they announce it if you're on their mailing list. I'll have to get on that.

    ReplyDelete