Mark has been reading Harry Potter almost without stopping. The irony? I had to bribe him to read it. He was completely obsessed with Percy Jackson and was convinced that nothing else he would ever read could ever compare. So he kept reading the Percy Jackson books over and over again. I wanted him to branch out a bit and knew he'd love the Harry Potter books. So I did what all excellent parents with a wide range of parenting skill sets do and I made a deal that I'd buy him some Pokemon when he was all through with the Harry Potter series. Then, after the 3rd book or so, I remembered some of the things that happen in Harry Potter--like how several principle characters die and how people kiss and how super creepy and evil Voldemort (not to mention Dolores Umbridge) is and of course the whole violent battle for civilization at the end and all. But there was no turning back. The kid's hooked. Thank goodness for things like scout day camp or the child might start developing bed sores.
As for the girls, yesterday while Mark was reading, they were playing. This meant that they took a new package of toilet paper and strapped Kitty and Racoony to it with a 90's style hair band as a seat belt and then sent them careening down the basement stairs to see if they would stay in (usually, yes; sometimes, no). Bet they don't do that at stations in school ("stations" are where you move from table to table doing different activities). It's what I love about summer. It's what I hate about sending them to school.
The girls have also been doing a lot of face painting. Elizabeth's really good at coming up with her own designs. Check this out.
We've also been doing a lot of hiking, which isn't like Rocky Mountain hiking, but like nature walking or hilly hiking. Monday we took a day trip to Garden of the Gods in Illinois. We had super fun.
In a cave (where, incidentally, I got better cell phone reception than in my home in Evansville's city limits)
Savannah struck a dance pose for many of our pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment