The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Friday, November 5, 2010

Sad Day

Late this afternoon, Elizabeth cut her and Savannah's hair--their beautiful, perfect, gorgeous hair. I'm still pretty sad about it. Maybe I shouldn't be writing this while I'm so sad. I'm sure I'll see the humor in it after it grows out. I can almost see some now. Almost.

And truly there are much worse things in life. Both my sisters thought someone had been hurt when I called them to weep upon their telephoned shoulders. Which made me feel sort of spoiled-bratty for caring about something that is a) just hair, and b) grows back.

When we asked Elizabeth why she cut her hair, she said she wanted to get it out of her face. That she did. Oh boy.

I had a good (really good) cry when it happened. Then I looked at Savannah's hair figuring I should just get down to business and fix it, but it was well beyond me. I took the girls to Kidz Hair Club--bless their souls. I figured they'd seen more than one kid who'd chopped off her own hair. They had.

That face is about how I felt too.


Here's the worst side of Savannah's head.


And the not so bad side.

The ladies at the Kidz Club did a great job. They gave Elizabeth a little pixie cut--which is totally in these days. And it does look cute on her. Although I'm not sure that it is so popular among the kindergarten crowd and I'm a little worried about the response she'll get at school. She seems to like it too, which I'm glad about.



You can't see it, but her arms are covered in temporary tattoos. That, with the new hair, give her a bit of a 'girl with the dragon tatto' look. I'm not sure it's the look I would have chosen for my 5-year-old, but what do you do.
And here's Savannah's. It's cute too, and she's pretty much happy with whatever, but I'll tell you I miss her little girl, baby-ish look something fierce. I just have to tell myself 'hair grows, hair grows, hair grows.'

Punishment was a tricky thing too. I wanted Elizabeth to know that she should never never do that ever ever again. But I also wanted her to like her new hairstyle and feel pretty with it. And we had to go to a hair place, which was a bit of a treat in and of itself and we bought hair stuff, which was another treat. So, yes, tricky. I had her pay all of her money to the hair people, but I'm not sure if I should do more or not. I just don't want it to happen again.

6 comments:

  1. I know you were sad and I don't want to minimize that, but Lizzy looks so cute! She looks like a model. And seriously their long hair will be back before you know it. They probably won't even remember the day when they had really short hair unless they decide they like it so much that they want to keep it. Just put lots of girly clips and cute things in their hair. I think that new cut on Savannah really makes her look like the Pace side. It's kind of funny. She kind of has my dad's eyes. She's a cutie!
    oh and I think you should add my mom's e-mail to your updates, so she gets them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went through this right before Hannah turned 4 (the day after school pictures, lol). Let's see if I can find the links
    http://mythr3ekids.blogspot.com/2008/04/hair-stylist-in-making-september-27.html
    http://mythr3ekids.blogspot.com/2008/04/before-and-after-september-27-2006.html
    I really went with the natural consequences of the whole thing... but then I thought it was really funny that she'd cut her hair :) Hannah HATED having short hair, but she LOVED cutting it. She said it was totally worth it... but she'd never do it again.
    Oh, and even though she wore pink CONSTANTLY, she got called a boy... for a LONG time. But that's just part of the natural consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke--I will have a look. Elizabeth also didn't seem to regret the actual cutting, which made me nervous. But I think we got through that this must never be done again.

    Shelle--Shoot, I thought I'd added your mom; I'll be sure to do that. And, Elizabeth does look like a model (she always has), but I hope she doesn't decide she likes it that short because--here's a confession--I like it longer (shocker). Savannah does look Pace-ish and she does remind me of your dad more than any of the other kids. If she keeps cutting her hair, they may wind up with the same hairstyle as well:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry, jean! But remember that it's harder for you than for them... Ha ha. Savannah will probably not ever be sad about it... Elizabeth, maybe more so since she's older, but she deserves some of those natural consequences, eh? (unlike savannah, the innocent sidekick -- I am pretty sure I talked Katie into letting me cut her hair, but I can't remember the details...) but they look cute, and you will have to endure all of the comments, blah! Why is that the case with parenting? You will always be judged for your kids bad choices ;) -- (in 20 years..."oh, so your daughter dropped out of her 8th year of college to run off and start a bike shop with her felon boyfriend..." part of the unfairness of motherhood -- being blamed for all bad choices! Ha ha hope you are feeling better today (but it's okay to grieve for hair, he grief will probably come and go and that's okay). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear, the glory of the hair gone! Poor Jean I am sure you did shed a tear or two and understandably so. The good news is your two girls are so darling no one else will even notice. And so much easier to keep clean and neat, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is easier to keep clean. Maybe by the time Savannah's grows out, she will allow me to wash it without screaming like death is imminent. And, Rebecca, are you saying my girls are going to run off with bike shop bikers. Look, just because Elizabeth's arms are covered with Halloween tattoos, which she cherishes greatly...

    ReplyDelete