The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Kitchen Garden

Every year Kip and I are possessed by an urge to dig out a new garden. And every year I swear this will be the last one. It's a sickness.

This year we started with this (actually this was step 2; we started with this as grass, but we're terrible at remembering before pictures):




And after a cold spring and then a few weeks of flooding and then more coolness followed by a whole lot of hotness, we ended up with this:




I think it looks pretty darn good. Kip did all the hard work--the laying of brick and stone because he is careful, mechanical, and--at times--meticulous. If I'd done it, it would have looked like a drunk got into our backyard and threw a bunch of bricks down. I put in the plants, and have put in several flowers since. We've got a dogwood (may it thrive), a couple tomatoes, rhubarb, a couple peppers, zinnia, dalia (that keep being eating by bunnies and our very own ducks), kale, zucchini, a cucumber plant, marigolds, and dessert moss (a succulent flowering plant), baby hollyhocks, and a sunflower, the few raspberries that survived the super wet spring, as well as creeping thyme in the rocks (we'll see how it fares with all the rain lately), and some greens and beans in pots. I wanted to make it part flower/part vegetable, and all beautiful. So, yeah, we'll see how that turns out. In another month when things are filling in I'll try to remember to post another pic.

P.S. That line of dirt in front of the garden is where we sandbagged during the flood. Don't worry; it's now sprouting a lovely bed of crab grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment