I Believe
Jean Knight Pace
I believe that there is a God and that He loves us even when it doesn’t seem He does. Perhaps especially when it doesn’t seem He does. I forget it too in those times, which is part of the reason I write it here, now.
I believe in marriage, but not just in marriage. I believe in loving the person you marry, and showing that love, even when you do not feel like it. I believe that this pays off, though not always today, and not always how we expect.
I believe in loving children. There are many reasons I believe this—some selfish, some not. I believe it especially because even when all of my other beliefs seem dumb or naïve or much too difficult, this one pulls out of the deepest part of me, and helps the other parts fall into place. I believe that in loving children, we become more able to love adults. I fear that loving children will, at times, come to hurt, but I believe it is worth it.
I believe that both youth and age are beautiful and should be treated as such.
I believe there should be occasions in life—not too many perhaps, but quite enough.
I believe that people should eat lots of fruits and vegetables that are as fresh and raw as possible. I also believe that people should eat delicious sweets. Especially with loved ones. I believe we should stop eating when our bodies are full.
I believe that when there is excess, in food or other areas, we should find ways to give some or all of it away.
I believe that we should move our bodies. And enjoy them.
I believe that we should be productive and sometimes even busy, but not over-worked, over-scheduled, over-activitied. I believe in the Sabbath.
I believe that everyone should go to sleep and wake up to the sounds of frogs, insects, and birds at least a few days of every year. I believe that everyone should go to sleep or wake up to the sounds of wind and rain at least a few days of every year.
I believe thunderstorms exist to amaze, amuse, frighten, and humble us. I believe life exists for the same reasons.
Lovely, Jean!
ReplyDeleteI love this!
ReplyDeleteJust looked up the This I Believe series. What a cool writing prompt. I may have to write one as well. Thanks for idea!