Dear
Friends and Family,
Normally,
I begin my Christmas letter at the beginning of December and then chew on it
for a few weeks. This year I’m beginning it, um, today. For a brief moment I
considered skipping it altogether, but in keeping with my mantra for the day,
month, year, life, I am going for “Something imperfect is better
than nothing at all.” Which is why most of us stick around in this world
anyway, right?
Our
year has been…a year. How can a year seem so long and short all at once? I look
back on January and think that it seems so long ago I can barely remember it.
And then I look at my children and think, “Why are they old? Weren’t they just
babies?” And then I look at myself and can see the years tracked along my face
(and neck and stomach and thighs), but it’s still my face—familiar and usually
something I like.
As
I was writing this, Kip looked pensively out the window and said, “It goes so fast.”
I
looked up and said, “I was just writing about that in my Christmas letter.”
And
he said, “My fudge?”
Um,
no. So, apparently, we were each having a different sort of moment. But, yes,
fudge goes fast too, especially around here.
Kip
has made two batches in the last two weeks. He also turned 40. He’s got his
main job, a part-time job, and a truck job on the side just for fun. He also
runs, chops wood, maintains the yard and does a hundred million things that
need doing and that I could never do without him. He also claims to still like
my face.
I
like his too. I think that Kip’s looks have only improved with age.
In
addition to thinking pensive thoughts about the passage of time, I have been
busy reading, writing, and running the house. Or being run over by it. Or
something like that. But I like my kids and they usually like me, and we have
good times together. They (and Kip) get most of me, and I love it that way. In
my free time (which I do guard fairly fiercely), I completed my YA novel. Recently
an agent asked to see the full manuscript, which I’m over the moon about. But
also scared because what if he doesn’t want it or he does, but then he can’t
sell it, or…blah blah blah…this is why artistic people are nutso. I’ve also
been trying to run with Kip some and try some more intense exercise, which I’ve
loved.
Mark
has been the best tween in the universe. Don’t get me wrong—we have our
moments, but mostly he’s funny (also—he laughs at my jokes—double stars) and
fun-loving and is becoming more caring and conscientious. Recently, when his
sister was sick, he was getting her sheets and pillows and a puking can and I
thought I might collapse from shock, but—yeah—awesomeness. He turned 12 and got
the priesthood and has been maturing. Don’t worry, he still doesn’t comb his
hair unless forced. I’ve taken to calling it “Hedgie.”
Elizabeth
is super kind and good. She’s at an interesting place between child and teen
where one minute she’s crawling around playing cats with her sisters (actually
they can do this for hours and have been doing it for years) and then the next
minute, she’s putting on make-up and asking for shoes with heels and creating
artwork on her bed in her room. I guess a girl can’t stay a cat forever, but I’m
glad she hasn’t shed her feline side entirely yet.
Savannah
is either super enthusiastic and determined, or the most epic Debbie Downer ever.
When Savannah says or decides she’ll do something, she does—usually quickly.
She’s been learning to read and having me help her make a cookbook.
Unfortunately, when she thinks something is stupid, she loudly proclaims it.
And did I mention, loudly? She laughs like a jolly elf when she laughs, and can
still tattle like a boss.
Emma,
my “baby,” isn’t so much anymore. Although I still look at her and think, “Oh,
she’s so small; what will I do when she’s not anymore.” She’s the only one not
in school, and it’s so easy with her that I feel mildly guilty about it. We can
do errands or go on playdates or whatever and no one blows out poop in the van,
no one has an intense meltdown on aisle three, no one runs away in a crowd. At
home, she sometimes gets a little bored with me because I am a) lame and b)
more lame. We did a mom-run preschool this year, which I was dreading, but it
has been the best thing ever. She loves it. I love it. The other kids are
great. The other moms are great. Emma is like a fairy. She flits, she floats,
she sings, she doesn’t wear pants. No wonder our life is so magical with her in
it.
And
I guess that’s it—or the bones of it. I love living a life that is shared,
stampeded, and elevated by these people.
Merry
Christmas,
The
Paces
Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are as beautiful as always and your news is as fun to read as always! Thanks for being an amazing person and raising as excellent family! Heather
ReplyDeleteLove it!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDelete