In my continuing efforts to pretend I am not old (and to prevent Kip in his attempts to buy presents for himself right before major gift-giving holidays), I decided to take Kip to a climbing gym (as in a place with climbing walls) in Evansville for Valentine's day. It was supposed to be a surprise, but alas he noticed it in the URL thingy and thought to himself, "What's that?" And then I was like, "keep this day/time free," and, you know, he put it together. But, oh well, it was super fun anyway. And--for the record--it did make me feel young. Although it ruined the Groupon manicure I'd gotten a couple days earlier.
It was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. I don't know what I was picturing--like, some play ground climbing wall or something. But these were tough. I made it to the top of three walls, although--to my credit--we did try some pretty challenging walls and I made it partway up many other walls (note: I think it's mean to suddenly reduce the number of handholds 3/4 of the way up a long wall)(further note: If I am ever hanging off the edge of a cliff, I will die.). The hard part was that after a few, our forearms were burning/shaking, which made it harder to climb any wall at all. Kip--naturally--was a rock star (ha ha--get it?) at it.
Lucky for us, we got the month trial membership so we can go back and climb away other days (as long as those days are before March 14th).
We did this in the afternoon and then went to Schlotsky's and used our BOGO coupons on dinner. If you know me, then you know that there's nothing more romantic than using coupons on dinner (sigh). Except maybe using coupons on dinner and NOT having to stand in line at the Olive Garden for 4 hours.
After dinner, we went home. Normally, I like our dates to end with the kids being in bed when we get home, but this time, I was really happy to come home and spend some time with them. We brought them a pizza, then ate the cookies and cream I'd made on Mom's birthday (to honor her of course, not to make a pig of myself or anything). Then we watched a movie with the kids.
It was just the right balance and made for probably the best Valentine's Day I may have ever had. A little adventure, a little free food, a really great dessert, some snuggles with the kids. And Kip of course.
Perfect day. The end.


No comments:
Post a Comment