The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cooking With Children

Cooking with children is lots of fun.



But it is full of peril. There are, well, distractions, bathroom breaks, time out breaks, possibly even story breaks. These here rolls got to the kneading point when it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't added any sugar. Or salt. And perhaps had halfed the milk (I couldn't be quite sure; I couldn't remember quite how much I put in.) I kneaded in some sugar. But they definitely still came out special. They are fine, but many of them may be destined for a life as bread pudding.

Duckie Update:

We have names: Barney (Kip's--the darkest and the runt); Jacob (Mark's--the goldie); Sarah (Elizabeth's--the one with glasses-like markings around its eyes); Sugar (Savannah's--the pink beak); Rosemary (mine) and Raspberry (Emma's), which are very hard to distinguish, although I think that Rosemary has the least markings of the group.

Also: ducklings love spinach. I give them treats of finely chopped grass and greens and they go crazy. Tonight when I went in to talk to them, they actually came near me (tentatively, but still) even though I didn't have a treat. They usually hover in a corner as a big downy duckie blob. Do you know what this means? It means that my spinach feeding ways have finally--finally--paid off with at least one species in this house. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment