The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Waterfowl

So when you live by a pond, even if that pond gets a little grody in the heat of the summer, you get a lot of birds. (And frogs. And turtles. One of the things that sold me on this house was standing in the bedroom, looking outside and seeing about 20 turtle heads sticking out of the pond.) Anyway, it's super fun and Kip and I have even become, you know, birdwatchers (hey, there's nothing nerdy about it okay; I hear only the coolest people are doing it).

Anyway, in the last month the pond has thawed out and the birds have come back to it and our yard.


We are, in fact, going to get some of our very own ducklings. Probably this week. They'll mostly be to have a sort of pet that can go wild (in theory) lessening the length of our commitment. Our idea is that we'll nurture them as babes, and then shift them into living in the wild as they get old enough, and that they'll hang around or return each year or whatever. Though lately I've gotten it into my head to make a nesting area for them with the idea that they will lay eggs and that we can then use those eggs. (The type of breed we've got our eye on doesn't fly much if at all, so we're hoping they'll just be hanging around in our yard.) Okay, so maybe we are nerds, or hicks, or something, but it sounds like the super most funnest thing ever. 

3 comments:

  1. That's really cool. I like your use of the word grody. I haven't heard that used since the 80's.
    I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The '80s had little to offer the fashion world, but the slange was awesome, I mean, radical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I will learn to spell 'slang.'

    ReplyDelete