The family--some actually looking at the camera

The family--some actually looking at the camera

Friday, March 16, 2012

They're Coming to Take Me Away Hee Hee

Do they have addiction recovery programs for things like this?


(That's mine--and Emma's; we're sharing--on the right.)

These are our new ducks. What's that you say? You thought we weren't getting ducks this year. You thought we were taking a break and that it was too much since we're going to Utah in July. You could have sworn I said that on more than one occasion. 

Well, yes, yes I did. And then today I sent Kip to Rural King. Alone. Why does one ever send a man to Rural King alone? It's like giving a 13-year-old girl your credit card and dropping her off at the mall. Only slightly less expensive. But still just as mad. 

It should be noted that not only did I send Kip to Rural King alone, but that I did so after he completed a large yard project (pictures later) that I'd sort of had on my honey do list. Why, you may ask, did that matter. It mattered for 2 reasons. Reason 1: As Kip kept digging up that wet muddy dirt, he kept finding worms. With each little worm, he was reminded of how the ducks used to "work" with us last summer, how they'd come out to the garden and we'd dig and they'd eat up each and every worm they could. It made Kip wistful. Yes, wistful. He missed the little ducks. He kept thinking about them. And then I, not realizing this, sent him to Rural King. Alone. And the other reason this 'honey do' project mattered? Well, I'd thought it would take weeks or longer (as it would have if I'd been doing it). With it out of the way, I was softened. This project (a pathway that wasn't done) had hung over me all winter. It had bugged me. Now it was gone--conquered in less than 36 hours. It looked so nice. And suddenly I felt a load off. This unfinished thing was now finished. What on earth would we do to make the spring more complicated? This is what I must have been thinking when I allowed Kip to get in the car and go to Rural King. 

He didn't come back with the ducks. I have to give him that. He asked me first. He wanted me to be on board. And this is the part where we're reminded that crazy always marries crazy. Because it only took a few searches of Khaki Campbell Ducks online for me to hop on board too. Sure, why not. We could get three--it'd be fun. They were so cute. And the project I thought would take all of March and April was completely done. 

As soon as Emma woke up we hopped in the car and headed back to Rural King--Kip wringing his hands that the ducks had all been snatched up in the two intervening hours. We picked out our 3 ducks--2 Khaki Campbell and an Indian runner for me. And then the kids started begging for just one more. Naturally we calmly explained that 3 was the perfect number and that we did not need one more duck. Ha Ha. Just a little joke there. Because that's what sane people would have done. Instead we naturally chose another Indian runner. To our credit, the kids did give it another go, trying for 6 ducks, but we stood firm (like, it's about time, right). 

I admit that it's been a little stressful for me tonight (this is what happens when you're both crazy and neurotic--it's a curse), but they really are cute. And I've been wondering if we really should have gotten chickens (boy, they were sure cute too). But Kip loves the ducks the best (real life quote: Chickens don't look like they're smiling when they look at you). Indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment